According to that report, there were 11 harassment cases, 3 lawyers and one law student killed since this January.
First, a side (lawyer) joke:
Q: What do you call 10,000 lawyers under the sea?
A: A good start!
To this people who would do such acts against us, here’s what I want to say:
1. Your actual beef is with our clients, not us. And killing us will not contribute to your cause a single bit. Another lawyer (yes, we literally grow on trees) will just take our place.
2. If you DO have actual beef with us, you know where to complain, the Integrated Bar of the Philippines. There are only a few of us who will sacrifice his/her license for a single client or cause (unless it’s a personal one, of course). Personally, I’m not about to throw away all the hardship and pain I went through law school, bar review and actual bar exams only to throw it away to push something that is wrong, unethical and/or illegal. I can only think of only two people who did this and both of them were law professors in my law school. And they thought they were doing the right thing. They did it for principles, according to them.
3. Contrary to popular belief, we do not make right any wrong, or vice-versa. We just exploit (remember this well) exemptions to laws. Do not refer to them as loopholes since it sounds bad.
One of the first things you learn when studying law is its structure. I’ll share it with you:
“For every law there is and exemption, and for every exemption, and exemption to that exemption.”
4. Don’t scare us. We’re already scared.
5. Don’t shoot the messenger. And don’t shoot the one who sent the message, either. Bad yun. (“That’s bad.”)